How I Got Rid of My Glasses after Cataract Surgery

Eye Care & Surgery Center NJ Bladeless LASIK Laser Cataract Surgeon Blog

Sunday, February 8, 2015

How I Got Rid of My Glasses after Cataract Surgery

I was diagnosed with a cataract in my right eye in my mid-50s.  I was told that to correct the cataract, the astigmatism also had to be corrected.  After nearly 50 years of wearing glasses, the idea of wearing just one contact in my left eye to compensate for the corrected vision seemed sort of cool.  Yes, I still had to wear reading glasses and I went through several drug-store varieties before I found what worked for reading and what worked for sitting at the computer 8-hours a day for my job.  However, I got used to all of it.
Dr. Ivan Jacobs, MD, Cataract Surgeon

When a cataract developed in my left eye, once again, the vision also needed to be corrected.  Dr. Jacobs suggested mono-vision: my right eye would continue to see distance more clearly but my left eye would see normally, that is more close up.  At first I could not imagine such a thing.  Wouldn't I end up dizzy or with blurred vision?  To help me better understand, Dr. J had me 'test' his concept by using a contact in the left eye prior to surgery that would mimic the mono-vision.  I LOVED IT!  It was amazing.  Somehow, in all the tests I had been put through, Dr. J knew that my brain was a good candidate for this type of vision, that it would be able to adjust to whichever eye needed to be dominant.  I don't have to think about it, my brain just does it.

 
It has been over a year since I had the second surgery and I am doing just fine.  I do not need/use any type of reading or distance glasses.  At night, I do wear a pair of yellow-tinted sunglasses, again from the drug-store, to cut down on glare.  Corrective eye surgery is not something I would have voluntarily done, however because it was medically necessary, I am so very grateful to Dr. Jacobs and his staff for making it happen.  They never pressured me, just offered the possibility and showed me how it could be.  It was my choice -- one I have never regretted making. 
  
   Sincerely and with gratitude,
   Cyndy R.

If you or someone you know has a question about cataracts, laser cataract surgery or lens implants, please call The Eye Care & Surgery Center at 908-789-8999, visit The Eye Care & Surgery Center or facebook.com/eyecareandsurgerycenter to schedule an appointment.


The Eye Care & Surgery Center is located at 592 Springfield Avenue, Westfield, New Jersey 07090, 10 Mountain Boulevard, Warren, New Jersey 07059 and 517 Route One South, Suite 1100, Iselin, New Jersey 08830, and is conveniently located for patients from throughout central and northern New Jersey.