The only way to confidently know whether LASIK or any type of Laser Eye Surgery for vision correction is going to safely, effectively and predictably help you achieve your personal vision correction goals is to have a thorough evaluation and consultation. The LASIK evaluation should be thorough enough to gather sufficient clinical and personal information so as to enable your LASIK Surgeon to make proper recommendations about to proceed. Your LASIK consultation should consist of a number of clinical tests including:
- Measurement of your uncorrected visual acuity
- Measurement of your visual acuity with your current eyeglasses or contact lenses
- Optical measurement of the current prescription that you are wearing in your eyeglasses and/or a review of your current contact lens prescription
- A thorough review of your medical and eye history including all prescription and non-prescription medication that you have been or are currently taking
- A refraction-automated or manual-to determine your current prescription
- A topography measurement to digitally map the shape of your cornea
- A pachymetry measurement of the thickness of your cornea
- A measurement of pupil size
- A microscopic evaluation of the health of your cornea and tear film including testing for dry eyes
From this testing it can be determined whether you should proceed to the final level of testing whereby the actual preoperative measurements are taken for your treatment and a thorough examination of the Retina and Optic Nerve can be performed.
In addition to the actual clinical testing your LASIK evaluation will include a full discussion of LASIK risks, benefits and complications and a thorough analysis of the personal goals and objectives that you feel are important to your success. The best way for you or someone you know to find out if they are a good candidate for LASIK is to have an evaluation, examination, and consultation with Dr. Confino who is a Corneal Surgeon and LASIK specialist. Please feel free to contact us schedule an appointment by calling The Eye Care & Surgery Center Toll Free at 800-504-1083.